Yes, you can! Yes, you can! You can do anything you put your mind to and much more. I was having a conversation with my friend and she told me about a school she was attending online. At the time I was a single mom and always wanted to go back to school but never thought it was possible with a three-year-old. But this was an online school my friend was attending and that was a game changer for me.
She told me which one she was going to but I needed to make sure that was the right school for me. I searched and compared several colleges but most wanted a ridiculous amount of money. This school had a reasonable fee and books were included so I did not have to pay extra money.
If you would like to go back to school, here are some tips I have to help you prepare:
- Look at different online schools and what they offer. Are books included in the tuition? If you took some college classes previously, will they transfer? I did attend college for a couple of years and after ten years most of those credits transferred. That was amazing to me and helped me so much.
- Once you have found a school, make sure you select a schedule that will work for you. The college I attended had a couple of different options.
- When determining how to pay for classes, look and see if your employer contributes money towards higher education. You can also look for scholarships or take out student loans.
- It is also important not to overwhelm yourself. Take one class each semester if you have to and remember great things take time. It took me a couple of years to complete my Bachelor’s degree. Depending on my circumstances sometimes I took two classes, other semesters I could only handle one.
- Schedule time to study and complete assignments. I choose to do everything after my son went to bed. He was young at the time so after seven I did homework often throughout the week. Remember to be kind to yourself and make sure you schedule breaks.
I believe going back to school can only happen if that is the only thing going on in your life outside of your family obligations and work. I did not have any other goals at the time, so at night when my son was sleeping, I would devote most of my time to this goal. If you are trying to learn how to knit, just had a baby, taking a test for work, or anything else it may be hard to focus on going back to school. I suggest waiting for a time when you can put ten hours a week towards this goal.
It is not going to be easy and you may want to give up but once you reach the finish line it is so sweet! I finished my Bachelors and went back to obtain my MBA in Project Management. I am really glad I did and feel very proud of myself.
If you are interested in the school I went to, it is Southern Columbia University, in Orange Beach, AL. They are so professional and I never had any problems while I was attending. I highly recommend them if you are looking for an online college.
Tell me if you went back to school or if this is a goal you have in your life.